The Office of the General Counsel is responsible for providing legal counsel and representation to the Agency for State Technology (AST) in all litigation and administrative proceedings.
- Renders legal advice and counsel to agency personnel concerning legal rights and obligations, business transactions, claim liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending lawsuits.
- Interprets laws, rulings and regulations of legal issue to establish and verify basis for legal proceeding.
- Examines legal data, gathers evidence, interviews witnesses, and takes depositions.
- Develops rules and policies, prepares and files legal briefs and other pleadings, prepares and drafts legal pleadings and documents, prepares legal opinions.
- Coordinates and supervises legal and support staff within the General Counsel Office. This includes reviewing and evaluating the legal activities and practices of staff attorneys and provides advice and consultation to staff.
- Advises staff on the agency’s role, in participation with the Department of Management Services, relating to state procurement of information technology.
- Acts as liaison with the general public where the Agency may provide advice or assistance on legal matters.
- Consults with the State Chief Information Officer in rendering legal opinions and advice.
- Studies Constitution, statutes, decisions, regulations, rules, administrative policies and procedures.
General Counsel: (850) 895-8317